The debate concerning the influence of inherited traits and abilities compared to the influence of environment on human development has been argued for decades. In this discussion, we will be debating nature vs. nurture. I am debating as a proponent of nature.Could you please help me to prepare some points to help argue the nature side of the debate.Nature includes the traits and abilities that we inherit from our parents; whereas nurture is traits and abilities that are acquired from environment and surroundings. Francis Galton wrote, Nature is all that a man brings with himself into the world; nurture is every influence from without that affects him after his birth (1). There are some things that a person cannot control which are determined by nature or inheritance. These things are the color of your eyes, texture and color of hair, skin tone, and certain diseases. Other psychological characteristics such as behavioral tendencies, mental abilities, and personality attributes can also be considered to be controlled by nature (2). Some things may not be apparent when a child is young, but as they mature, can suddenly become very apparent. Freud believed that aggression is an innate drive, which he called thanatos (2). Bowlbys theory of attachment was also the belief that the innate natural bond between mother and a child is one that helps to ensure survival of the child (2). A research study of identical twins separated at birth was conducted to determine which was more accurate, nature or nurture. Twins that were separated at birth and raised by different parents, and more commonly in different areas, were researched and in most cases the studies determined that even when the children were raised by dramatically different individuals and in very different environments, there were still things that were remarkably similar. In some cases, the twins basic personalities were the same, as well as their taste in music, books, and other likes and dislikes (3).References:
(1) http://www. prospect.org/article/nature-nurture-and-destiny
(3) http://www.npr.org/2007/10/25/15629096/identical-strangers-explore-nature-vs-nurtureThank you for using Brainmass.com.
I hope that this helps you with your debate.
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.