Below is a list of important scientific experiments and the scientist who conducted them. Choose one experiment and describe how they used the scientific method to prove or disprove them as instructed in the discussion question.Scientist Discovery/Experiment
Robert Koch Germ Theory
Edward Jenner Vaccinations
Gregor Mendel Rules of Heredity
Thomas Hunt Morgan Genes are on Chromosomes
Galileo Galilei Law of Falling Objects
Richard Oldham Earths core
Frederick Hopkins Vitamins are Essential to Health
Matthew Meselson & Franklin Stahl Semi-Conservative Replication of DNA
Harold Varmus & Michael Bishop Discovery of Oncogenes
Humphry Davy Electricity Transforms Chemicals
Victor Hess Radiation Comes From Space
Harry Hess Seafloor Spreading
Stanley Miller & Harold Urey Origin of Organic Compounds on Earth
Alfred Hershey & Martha Chase DNA is Heredity Material
Louis Pateur Spontaneous Generation
Alexander Flemming Penicillin
Alfred Wegener Continental Drift
Anton Von Leeuwenhoek MicroorganismsAlfred Wegener Continental Drift Wegeners Continental Drift Theory was technically NOT proven as the theory was correct in principle but had many incorrect presumptions and details. The main and most glaring problem with the theory was Wegners lack of ability to give a mechanism for how the continents drifted across the globe. His theory did represent the forerunner for the Plate Tectonics theory that has proven that the Continents did indeed drift and were once joined together, which was Wegeners HYPOTHESIS. Wegener engaged in the scientific method for every step except for testing his hypothesis as he didnt have the technology that would later emerge to prove the hypothesis. He began by presenting the problem, which was whether the scientific community had a valid explanation about how many of the fossils across the globe were distributed were you would expect them to be if a Continental Drift had occurred. He then presented evidence such as one species that was found in western Africa and South America, and another in Antarctica, India and central Africa. In addition, Wegener questioned why coal deposits would be found in the North Pole as they are typically associated with tropical climates or why Africa, a tropical continent would have signs and evidence of glaciation. The main flaw to Wegeners theory was his lack of capability to TEST his hypothesis. This effectively relegated his theory null and void during his lifetime and for many decades afterwards. It wasnt until the scientific revolution and major advances in technology that Wegeners theory was reformulated with much greater detail under the Plate Tectonics Theory. The technology that was developed during WWII enabled scientists to extensively map the ocean floor, which enabled the theory of Plate Tectonics to eventually PROVE that the continents were connected at one time, which validated Wegeners theory in principle.Thank you for using BrainMass!
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.